Google Website Translator Gadget

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pakistan trying to win back World Bank loan Thar coal project

Sunday, 25 Mar 2012

The Express Tribune reported that the federal government is preparing a report for the World Bank to show that coal is a least cost option and convince the bank to re engage itself in the Thar coal and energy project. Earlier, the World Bank had withdrawn from its commitment of providing USD 30 million in loan for the Thar coal project.

Mr Ayaz Soomro Sindh Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister said that the World Bank in a sudden and abrupt move told the government in November 2009 that it was not in a position to continue with the Thar coal and power project because of environmental reasons.

Mr Soomro who was responding to queries on behalf of Chief Minister Mr Syed Qaim Ali Shah who also heads the Coal and Energy Department said that the Sindh government then approached the federal government asking it to take up the matter with the World Bank.

Mr Soomro accepted that though MoUs had been signed with different companies over the last 5 to 7 years, no company could start coal mining and power production. Reasons behind this were non serious attitude, dearth of infrastructure, lack of incentives, low coordination between provincial and federal governments and failure to resolve tariff and coal pricing issues.

He said that the government had entered into joint ventures with Engro Group, China based Global Mining Company and others in four blocks of Thar. In addition to these, the provincial government has created Sindh Coal Development Fund with PKR 5,000 million for injecting its share of equity.

Mr Soomro said that for financing, a joint venture project has been included in the list of projects under the Pakistan and China Energy Working Group which will meet on April 15th 2012.

He said that work had started on a transmission line and constructing other infrastructure, including roads. About constructing railway lines in Thar Pakistan Railways in collaboration with the Thar Coal and Energy Board had given task to Pakistan Advisory Consultancy Services, a subsidiary of railways, to conduct a feasibility study for laying railway tracks up to the Thar coal field.

He added that an amount of PKR 21.9 million has been allocated in the budget. The government had already declared the Thar coal field as a special economic zone and a project of national security.

Source - The Express Tribune

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am vimalarani, I want to go higher studies so i need Bank Loan. Pls give some suggestion How to get Approved Bank Loans easy and fast...pls

Unknown said...

I sent your articles links to all my contacts and they all love it including me.
unsecured loans online

Anonymous said...

Your contents give me more creational ideas that I can possibly use on my web page too.
online cash loans

Unknown said...

Thank you for excellent post. A perfect way of writing the post, very clear and informative, it is a pleasure to read this kind of post, generally I search for information but your post catches my attention. Thanks a lot!
packers and movers hyderabad.

Dr Purva Pius said...

My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business man, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS